If you already have a modem, then you might be able to use it for your naked Voyager internet connection instead of buying or renting a new one from us. This page describes what you need to know about using your own router with Voyager.
Third Party BYO Modem/Router Requirements
Before you begin:
- If you also need our Voice services (VoIP), then we can only provide support for our retailed routers. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or give us a call on 0800 4SPEED.
- Different connection technologies like VDSL or Fibre have different technical requirements. Search the internet for your current modem, model number and firmware version to find it's technical specifications or consult the user manual if you still have it to hand. Then use this spec sheet to ensure your modem meets the technical requirements for your new Voyager internet connection.
- If your router was originally provided by another Internet Service Provider, then they may have applied some restrictions that make it difficult for the router to be used elsewhere.
- Whilst we are very familiar with our own Voyager supplied routers, our ability to support 3rd party modems is limited and on a best efforts basis. We recommend choosing the Voyager modem if you're not sure, plus we'll pre-configure it for you. We currently supply the Huawei DG8245V as a rental at $10 a month or you can purchase it for $150 (inc GST). Click here to submit your rental or purchase request.
- Your router will need to support "VLAN Tagging" for our VDSL & Fibre services (although you can opt to disable it for our Fibre services, we do not recommend this).
Basic requirements for each connection type:
* Click on > to expand the menu
Some common routers customers have connected to our network:
Please note: We can not guarantee the full compatibility of the following routers. We recommend referring to the retailer or the manufacturer's support information if you have any concerns.
|Make and Model||ADSL||VDSL||UFB|
|Apple Airport Extreme||NO||NO||YES (UN-TAGGED)|
|NetComm Wireless N300: NB604N||YES||NO||NO|
|Netcomm Wireless NF4V||YES||YES||YES|
|NetComm Wireless: NF15ACV||YES||YES||YES|
|Netgear Nighthawk R7000P||NO||NO||YES|
|Spark/Vodafone - Huawei HG659/HG659b||YES||YES||YES|
|Vodafone SHG1500 Station||YES||NO||YES|
Get in touch
If you are experiencing any difficulty with any of these instructions, give us a call on 0800 477 333 (8AM to 10PM, 7 days a week).